Blue Chip Stocks in India: How to invest in top companies of NSE
Blue-chip stocks are high-quality stocks of well-established companies that have a proven track record of financial stability and consistent growth. These stocks are considered safe and reliable investments, making them a popular choice for long-term investors. In this blog, we will define blue chip stocks and highlight their importance in an investment portfolio.
What are blue chip stocks?
Shares of very large, well-known corporations with a track record of reliable financial success are known as “blue chip stocks.” These stocks have a reputation for being able to withstand challenging stock market situations and deliver strong returns during favourable market conditions. Blue chip companies typically have high stock prices since they have a solid reputation and frequently dominate their respective markets.
Where does the name ‘blue chip’ come from?
The term “blue chip” originates from the world of poker, where different coloured poker chips denote different dollar amounts. As opposed to white chips and red chips, blue chips often have the highest value of all.
What are the various features of blue chip stocks?
– Provides stable returns: Long-term and cautious investors choose blue chip shares since they are the most dependable when it comes to stable returns. While blue chip stocks may not offer as high of a return as small- and mid-cap firms, they offer reliable returns, assist with portfolio diversification, and reduce risk.
– Offer regular dividends: Blue chip shares regularly distribute quarterly or yearly dividends to their shareholders. Even though the dividend payout might vary depending on the organisation’s performance and its expansion goals, dividends are meant to reward the shareholders for their investments and faith in them.
– Offers safety from risk: Due to their strong financial standing, superior management, and reduced debt, blue chip shares are often less volatile than mid-cap and small-cap stocks. Blue chip companies are typically debt-free or have reduced debt because they always have the money to pay off their debt, so they only have a limited influence during market volatility or market corrections.
– Ideal for long-term investors: Blue chip firms are better investments if you have a longer time horizon since they grow slowly but steadily over time. For their retirement funds to generate a sizable return, investors should consider including blue chip stocks in their portfolios.
What is a blue chip stock example?
A blue chip company has a very high market valuation, making the stock pricey due to this high valuation.
Here are a few examples of the most popular blue chip stocks:
- Hindustan Unilever Ltd.
- Wipro Ltd.
- Axis Bank Ltd.
Blue chip stocks list in India
Here are India’s top blue chip companies based on their market value (as of 2023). These blue chip stocks are being traded on the NSE and the BSE.
- The State Bank of India
- Bharti Airtel
- Tata Consultancy Services
- Reliance Industries Ltd.
- Coal India
- HDFC Bank
- ITC Ltd.
- Infosys Ltd.
- ICICI Bank
Note: Bear in mind that prior performance is not a guarantee of future success. You should diversify your assets to lessen the chance of losing your money in a downturn since even the finest firms can fail.
Is blue chip stock a good investment?
- Dividends as passive income: Regardless of market condition, blue chip companies pay regular dividends to their shareholders, and it is considered one of the great ways to earn passive income.
- Stable & diversified portfolio: Blue chip shares are not as fluctuating as other securities and require the least effort from you, and you do not have to track the stock price regularly.
- Ideal for long-term investment: You must add blue chip stocks with strong fundamentals and future growth to achieve a diversified portfolio. Your asset allocation in the portfolio relies on your risk appetite. If you are a conservative investor who does want to take much risk can allocate most of your capital to blue chip stocks.
Who should invest in blue chip companies?
- Expensive stocks: Blue chip stocks are often more expensive than other types of securities due to their strong market position and low P/E ratio. As a result, blue chip share prices might not be ideal for novice investors.
- Not ideal for short-term investors: Blue chip companies don’t see exponential growth in their stock prices in the short term. However, they provide outstanding returns over years or decades.
Blue chip investments can serve as the foundation of a broader portfolio, but they shouldn’t often make up for the whole of one’s holdings.
An investor should think about buying midcaps and smallcaps stocks as well within a portfolio’s allocation to equities. Wealthy retirees and experienced investors favour blue chip companies, but most novice investors avoid them. The rationale is that while poor short-term returns are not appealing to investors wanting to earn rapid money, pensioners, for whom the security of their cash is considerably more essential, will benefit greatly from these investments due to their low risk. Similar to this, investors who may not need to access their money right away find long-term possibilities appealing.
How to invest in blue chip stocks?
One can buy blue chip shares individually or by buying mutual funds or exchange-traded funds (ETFs) that invest in blue-chip stocks.
Funds and ETFs may occasionally own a range of equities and asset types, including Indian bluechip stocks. Other times, the funds or ETFs may only invest in blue-chip companies.
Investing in bluechip stocks via smallcase
You can also invest in a basket of blue chip stocks via smallcase. Simply go to smallcase.com or the smallcase app, and login via your phone number. Then, go to ‘Discover‘ and enter ‘bluechip‘ in the search bar and hit enter. You’ll find an array of stock portfolios that have bluechip companies. Just pick the one that fits your investment criterion.
Make sure you do your diligent research before picking the right stock, considering your long-term investment goals and risk appetite.
Blue chip investments can provide a safe and reliable source of returns for long-term investors. These stocks have a proven track record of financial stability and consistent growth, making them a popular choice for many investors. While there are some drawbacks to consider, Indian blue chip stocks can provide a solid foundation for a well-diversified investment portfolio. As with any investment, it’s important to do your due research.
Keep yourself informed and up-to-date on a variety of thematic sectors by reading the articles below.